Roberto Arrece-Toro

Roberto came to the United States from Peru in 2002 to live the American Dream. “Since I came to this country,” he says, “I’ve moved up. I’m trying to be a professional and get a decent job.”

Studying CIS

To live the American Dream, Roberto learned English through the adult education program at the St. Vrain Valley School District before starting and graduating from high school. He enrolled at Front Range Community College to study Computer Information Systems. He has two more semesters to go to earn his Associate of Applied Science degree.

“I like everything about computers,” he says. “I like troubleshooting, and I like fixing up computers.”

Employee, Student, Father, Husband

Roberto, who is 30, married six years ago. He and his wife, Erin, welcomed their first child, Rosalia, in May 2013. Erin graduated from FRCC’s Veterinary Technology Program. While she was enrolled, Roberto worked to support her commitment to education. He also heard good comments from her about FRCC. “I’m happy to be part of FRCC now,” he says. “I like my teachers, the campus. Every single teacher is very helpful. My first teacher was Merrill Glustrom. He guided me through English.”

Sacrificing for Family

As part of the American Dream, Roberto became a U.S. citizen in September 2013. He and Erin own a house. Roberto works two jobs in addition to going to FRCC. He’s a warehouse clerk for Thule Organization Solutions in Longmont and a student worker in Information Technology Services at FRCC.

“Some days I leave the house at 5:30 in the morning and don’t get back until 10 at night,” he says. “All this sacrifice is for my family.”

Learning Professionalism

He appreciates the example Bill Baker, campus coordinator of ITS, provides him. “From Bill I have the perspective of professionalism,” Roberto says. “He cares about customer service.”

After graduation, Roberto wants to get an IT job and continue his education.

Reaching the American Dream is “a long way, but one day all this effort will have its reward,” Roberto says.