September 28, 2011
Student's-perspective

A Student’s Perspective: My Community College Experience

When I graduated high school in the spring of 2010, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do. After speaking with my parents, I decided that I wanted to get some kind of higher education. With still no direction, I decided that it would work well to do general education classes at Front Range Community College (FRCC) that would transfer to a four year college.

No Idea What to Expect

When I started up my first semester at FRCC, I had no idea what to expect. My first day I found the classes to be small and the teachers very friendly. As I progressed through the semester, I realized the instructors’ main priority was making every student successful. Whenever I needed help, I was able to go to my instructors and speak with them.

Something You Don’t Find at Every School

For example, this summer a final grade reported online was different from the grade on my paper rubric. So I went to campus to talk with my teacher about it. Turns out, it was a small error and would be corrected.  What stood out to me, however, was not this but what happened next. My teacher asked me how I was doing in the class and asked me if I was having trouble understanding anything. After this he even volunteered to show me my grade in the class, as we were approaching the end of the semester, to see how I was doing and if I would need extra credit.  We ended up talking for an hour about interesting economic trends and I even learned some things about industries I’m interested in. This is just one of numerous instances I have contacted a teacher at FRCC and they have gone above and beyond what he needed to do. This is something that I don’t think you find at every school.

Classes Transfer

As I have just started up my second year here, I finally have an idea of what I want to get a four-year degree in. Within the last couple of months, I gained a strong interest in the music industry and specifically the business side of it. After considering CU Denver at one point, I looked again and found that they had a bachelors degree in music business. A couple weeks ago, I visited the campus and also sat down with an advisor. When I talked with him I was surprised how well my community college classes would transfer. I found out that all of my 60 credits would transfer, including some that weren’t guaranteed to transfer!

This is just my personal experience, but as I have talked with more and more people, I have found many similar stories. A community college, and FRCC in particular, is a great place to start your education.

Have you gone to a community college? What’s your experience been like?

About the author:

Jonathan Link graduated from Front Range Community College with an Associate of Arts degree. Besides attending college, you can find Jonathan playing guitar and enjoying anything that has to do with music.