As a first generation college student, I did not understand the value of meeting with an academic advisor until I needed to declare a major and discuss my courses. Being first generation, I felt ashamed for asking questions and not knowing what I need to do. Not until I felt lost did I accept that I was only hurting myself for not asking questions and seeking advice from an academic advisor.

When I decided to meet with an academic advisor, my perspective changed. As I continued to meet with my advisor every semester, I realized the information/advice I received was essential to achieve my goal. My advisor provided guidance, advice, and knowledge of campus resources.

Advisors Provide Guidance

When you are the first in your family to be enrolled in college, it is difficult because you are learning to navigate higher education and it feels like you are alone; however, you are not alone.

My advisor guided me with the processes, policies, and opportunities at the institution. My advisor helped me create an academic plan and made sure I was on the right path for graduation. My advisor supported me when I felt discouraged, and she emphasized the importance of asking questions.

Advisors Know about Campus Resources

Now that I work as an academic advisor, I ask students questions so I can know them better and to see whether I can connect them with resources on campus. Advisors are familiar with the campus resources available to the students.

There are so many resources. You can participate in student organizations, work-study, academic tutoring, and study groups – the list goes on. The resources on campus are tools to help support students to be successful. If you want to learn more, I encourage you to meet with an advisor.

Feeling Lost?

There were multiple times I was feeling lost, especially in my first two years. I felt lost on campus and lost with course selection/my major. I reached out to my advisor for advice and reassurance.

Navigating higher education alone was challenging but doable with the advice and guidance of my advisor. I wanted to make sure I was on the right path with my major and course selection, and I felt good to hear from my advisor that I was on the right path for graduation. I can give back now that I’m an advisor. I am here to support you and help you navigate FRCC.

Academic Advisors are Here to Help You

College can be an overwhelming journey. Learn to ask questions. Use the campus resources available to you. Academic advisors are very knowledgeable about your college’s processes. Do not be afraid to ask questions. Advisors want to support you to be successful and assist you with reaching your end goal. Work hard, give it your best effort and ask for help. We are here to assist you.