October 10, 2011
Cont-Ed1

You Never Stop Learning with Continuing Education

I once had a coworker who was always in school. He earned a master’s degree (night classes) during the time we worked together, but once he finished that, it was pottery classes, automotive classes, and wine classes at the community college near his house.

Learning doesn’t stop when you grow up.

It was inspiring to know someone so committed to lifelong learning. After all, who says you should stop learning once you’re an adult?

If you’ve ever thought about trying out a new hobby, exploring an interest, learning a foreign language, or gaining new and valuable skills, you should check out continuing education.

Continuing education could be just what you need.

Who would enjoy (and benefit from) continuing ed classes?

• People who need computer skills, such as Excel, PowerPoint, Word, or QuickBooks.
  • People who could use help in the job search – résumé writing, career assessment, or standing out in a tough economy.
  • Designer types interested in learning new software, such as Photoshop, InDesign, or Dreamweaver.
  • World travelers (or aspiring world travelers) who want to learn French or Spanish or German (or all of them).
  • People who like to draw, paint, make jewelry, (or want to learn to do those things).
  • Parents who want to fine-tune their skills as moms and dads.
  • New real estate investors who want to learn the ropes.
  • Photographers.
  • Curious people.

…and lots of others!

Just to give you an idea of the wide range of interests covered, here are five cool continuing education classes that were offered last summer or this fall at Front Range. And this is just the beginning—search here for classes at the campus near you (or for online classes).

• Fly Fishing for Beginners∙ $79 ∙ Includes three classes to learn fly fishing basics and a Saturday fishing expedition.
  • Islam in America ∙ $60 ∙ A three-day course dedicated to understanding the politics and citizenry of the second largest religion in the world.
  • Hapkido: Gaining Awareness and Relaxation through Martial Arts ∙ $105 ∙ Hapkido is a Korean martial art that combines kicks, punches, throws, take-downs, join locks, and grab-and-knife defense. 10-week class.
  • What the Guys Never Tell Us Part I: Basic Power Tools ∙ $79 ∙ Teaches ladies how to use the cordless power drill and cordless circular saw.
  • Hottest Travel Careers $25 ∙ Teaches students to make money as a part-time or full-time home-based travel agent—and travel for free arranging group tours.

Other places for continuing education.

Your local community college has a lot of great continuing education courses, but don’t stop there. You can find classes in a lot of places in your community. Be sure to check out:

• Your local library – Find basic computer classes, book clubs, writing classes, and English conversation classes at your local library – not to mention reading programs for kids of all ages, a plethora of tween programs, family-oriented programs and events, and more.
  • Hospitals – Sure, you can take baby and parenting classes at hospitals, but did you know that many also offer a variety of health care, fitness, and wellness and nutrition classes?
  • Recreation centers – I’m a huge fan of rec centers. They offer so many affordable classes for people with many different interests – and not just fitness classes.
  • Senior centers Senior centers offer a lot of fun and educational classes, from dance to writing to computers to foreign languages.

What just-for-fun classes have you taken before? What did you love about them?

About the author:

Michaele Charles is the founder of Voice Communications and writes frequently for higher education institutions, small businesses, corporate clients, and others. She also is a fledgling children’s writer. In her pre-writing life, she worked in accounting and finance.

Comments:

October 10, 2011 dog tricks

Learning is such an important part of life. I personally attend many seminars a year and read as much as I can as it makes me grow as a person and I am more able to serve my community.

October 12, 2011 Michaele Charles

Hi Jean,
    Good for you. Learning is continuous, I completely agree. And I also think reading is a wonderful and easy way to learn…whether you’re reading a newspaper, online, books, or blogs! :) Thanks for commenting and being a part of our blog!

March 21, 2012 Ian Shilton

Fly fishing courses for beginners? Gotta love school these days. Is there anything that’s not offered in schools and universities? Is 50 too old to get educated?

March 21, 2012 Michaele Charles

I love it, too, Ian. When I was in college just 14 years ago, I took a ballroom dancing class and I thought that was innovative! It amazes me what you can take now. And as for age, I am a true believer that you’re NEVER too old to get an education. Continuing ed is great, too, because it attracts a wide age range of people. Go for it!

May 22, 2012 William Imhoff

Thanks for all the ideas. I never get tired of learning. Nice website too.

July 21, 2012 JeffC

Great to see that a fly fishing course is included. I’m a teacher as well as an avid fly fisherman and seeing a course listing like yours gives me an idea to maybe start something in my neck of the woods.

July 23, 2012 Michaele Charles

Very cool, Jeff! Go for it! Where do you live?

July 27, 2012 JeffC

I live just south of Indianapolis. Most fly fishermen go for small mouth bass in small lakes around here.

July 27, 2012 Mike Roberts

Great article. Thanks for sharing. I bookmarked your site so I’ll be back again when I have more time to look around.

I’ve always been a huge proponent for continuing education and when I read your article and it listed a Fly Fishing class I was impressed. Most people only think of CE classes that aren’t fun and more like previous schooling experiences. Furthering your education with an enjoyable class would be a fun experience for many and teach you a new skill/hobby in the process.

October 22, 2012 Michaele Charles

Thanks for the nice comment, Clint. I agree with your take on CE classes!

Switch to our mobile site