Join us for a special Veterans Day event on Thursday, November 9!
In honor of Veteran’s Day, Front Range Community College will award handmade Quilts of Valor to 15 of our veteran students and employees on Thursday. The quilts will be awarded to current and past FRCC students and staff from the college’s campuses in Longmont, Fort Collins and Westminster.
FRCC’s Military & Veteran Services Department has planned the event in partnership with the Quilts of Valor Foundation, whose mission is to “cover service members and veterans touched by war with comforting and healing quilts.”
The 15 quilts were made and donated by Columbine Quilt Guild in Arvada. Each quilt takes an average of 60 hours to complete.
“For the multiple people who work on each of these quilts, they are not only a labor of love but also a thank you to the veterans for their bravery and service,” said FRCC’s Kathy Jaschke who works on the college’s Veteran’s Services team.
The presentation will be conducted by former FRCC faculty member Dr. Audrey Theisen, who is part of the Columbine Quilt Guild and the Quilts of Valor organization.
Members of the community are welcome to join us for this event to honor our local veterans and hear their stories. We hope you can join us!
Thursday, November 9
College Hill Library
Conference Room (second floor)
3705 W. 112th Avenue in Westminster
“As a family member of a Quilt of Valor recipient, I know first-hand how much these tangible gifts of love and appreciation mean to the recipients and their families,” said Director of Military & Veteran Services Kimberly Gonzales. “I am thrilled and honored to have these beautiful and meaningful quilts back at Front Range Community College.”
“The students who were chosen to receive quilts this year not only served their country, but continue to serve their community and the FRCC community in amazing ways,” said FRCC Veteran Success Coach Tracy Bower.
“They serve—or have served—as officers in FRCC’s student veterans organizations, as tutors and peer mentors, and as exemplary student employees. They are all excellent students who are very involved.”
This year’s FRCC Quilts of Valor recipients are:
- Tim Watson, GIS/Geospatial science student | Navy
- Jaen Chavez, General engineering student | Marine Corps
- Levi Lynch FRCC alum | Army
- Erika Parrish, FRCC alum | Marine Corps
- Michael Weant Business student| Marine Corps
- Ryan Welker, Math student | Army
- Ben Tenze, Science student | Army
- Matt Russell, Community partner | Army
- Bruce Gamradt, Community partner | Army
- Tracy Bower, FRCC Veterans Services employee | Army
- Chuck Crews, Former FRCC Veterans Services employee | Air Force
- Kimberly Millette, Former FRCC Veterans Services employee | Air Force
- Emilio Castorena, English student | Army
- Riley Maier, Business student | Army
- Robert Hajnos, Economics students | Marine Corps
The quilts are currently on display on the second floor of the College Hill Library.