FRCC Logo

Dear FRCC Community,

I have written to you several times over the last couple of months about COVID-19, and how the college is responding to keep you safe. That has been challenging enough, but this is an even harder message to write. The deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and many more are painful reminders that racism and violence in America seem inextinguishable.

To our black students, and all our students who have experienced racism and the threat of violence, my heart hurts for you and our society. I know many of you are hurting and angry – not just about these deaths, but the repeated injustice and indignities many of you have experienced. I – and the whole FRCC community – wish our words alone were enough to help you.   

I am committed to ensuring that Front Range Community College stands for equity and against racism. We have taken several steps, but we need to do more. I met recently with our Equity, Inclusion and Diversity Council and heard several plans they are working on for how we can do a better job at achieving a more equitable college environment in which to learn and work. We will also examine our curriculum, our hiring practices, our safety and security practices, and the ways we support students of color on campus. 

I would like to hear from you. What is your experience at FRCC? Does our environment support students of color? If not, what is missing? You can email me at FRCC.President@frontrange.edu. We know that some of you may be tired of hearing words about being committed to diversity and inclusion and you are ready for action. We are listening and want to engage.

We also want to make sure you are taking care of yourself. We provide free counseling services to our students.

This is a challenging time. Senseless deaths, and protests turned violent, quickly followed the disruption of the pandemic. For students who identify with the communities experiencing violence, we understand it may be difficult to feel safe, and it is even harder to focus on school. I hope all of us in the FRCC community can have empathy for each other, and provide care and compassion for ourselves, our families, our friends and our communities. Most importantly, please reach out to those who may be suffering.

Sincerely,

Andy Dorsey

President, Front Range Community College