June 22, 2011
Team-intro

Welcome to Writing the Front Range

Now that I’ve written that little bit of welcome in the headline, I suppose I could push some button somewhere – the button that says “PUBLISH” – and there, I’m blogging.

But it’s not that simple. Several of my friends here at the college – Sandra Bergman, Jay Demore, Marian Maharas, and Cheri Brunvand, among them – and our friendly free-lance writer, Michaele Charles, have thought a lot about starting a blog. This thinking wasn’t all fun in the sun, of course. We used a meeting room inside College Hill Library.

We’ve thought about it so much that we might have earned degrees in blogology. OK, I made up that word. Maybe it will enter the language some day, as bracketology has, thanks to ESPN.

So we’ve thought thoughts about this. Such as, What do we want this blog to do? Answer: We want this blog to help people be successful through education.

Another question: How will we do that? Well, we can write about starting college in high school, meeting with an advisor, choosing a major, paying for college, getting that degree, finding scholarships, guaranteed transfer, internships, becoming job-ready, changing careers or restarting one, stopping to smell the flowers – or visit an art show – while enrolled on campus, balancing family and work with studies – and more.

And wouldn’t it be cool to use a beach ball as the point on an exclamation point? But I digress.

I don’t think we’ll run out of topics.

And it’s not like I’ll be the only writer on Writing the Front Range. I will be asking faculty – many of whom I’ve observed doing great work in their classrooms – to guest blog. Who knows? I might even get the president to contribute.

A final question: After people read our blog, what do we want them to do? Answer: We want people to share the blog, visit our Web site. And, very important, talk back to us. This Web thing – it’s supposed to be about engagement.

So, there you go. I’m blogging. What do you think?

Where’s that PUBLISH button?

About the author:

John Feeley is director of public relations at Front Range Community College. He’s a retired soccer referee and newspaper editor whose subscription ran out.

Comments:

June 22, 2011 Liz

Congratulations John! A public blog. I will be interested in seeing how this developes. I am not looking for the PUBLISH button. I am looking for the SPELL CHECK button. And then I did hit something and wiped out my message so it might appear twice. So much to learn…
Liz

June 23, 2011 Tracy Hughes

“Writers on the Front Range”, now that is a great title. Looking forward to reading your posts!

July 05, 2011 Sarajane Helm

Congratulations on starting this blog! As a webdesigner/blogger, I know there’s a lot of work that goes into starting and continuing a blog. I have begun one for the new FRCC Art Club and welcome anyone to check it out as well. If you are interesting in promoting the arts at FRCC-BCC, please join us!
http://frccart.wordpress.com

July 06, 2011 John Feeley

Thanks, Sarajane. Good luck with your blog, too. Check back to Writing the Front Range next week. We have a post planned about some student artists at the Boulder County Campus.