Maxwell Stevens addressing the crowd at commencement

“Thank you… for building a community where a high school dropout can walk down a path of academic success.”

As we celebrate our graduates this spring, we hear a lot of powerful stories about their experienceboth in college and in life. More often than not, they’re stories of overcoming significant obstacles to reach their dreams.

We get to hear from some of these students during our graduations ceremonies. We call them our “Voices.” This week, we’ll be sharing several of their speeches with you here.

We hope you learn something worthwhile from each our our graduate’s voices.

Maxwell StevensAssociate of Science Degree

As a high school dropout, I never expected to be in a position to speak to a community as hardworking and dedicated as Front Range.

I am Maxwell Stevens, and I would not be on this stage before you if it were not for the tireless work of those in the Front Range community.

Every one of us had our own unique path—a path we had to follow to be here today. And while no two paths are the same, all of us who have made it here likely had one thing in common—people who encouraged us to become the best versions of ourselves. People who challenged us to think in new ways and people who inspired us to keep pushing forward, despite our obstacles.

So many people in this community have helped me become someone who could not only survive but thrive in college. From my excellent professors and fellow students to everyone in the Academic Success Center, you made me look forward to every day.

For that, my friends, I am forever grateful.

And now, I want to give a special thanks to my mom, Kimberly Kreutzer, who unfortunately passed away on November 7th, 2021, after a hard-fought battle with cancer. My mom was my biggest supporter, and I cannot express what her encouragement and gratitude meant to me. She showed me that we could all positively impact those around us.

So I encourage you to be that force for good in people’s lives. You may be the one to give that little push to someone who needs it. You may help this person get in a position to help someone else, if not you. And, if we all do this, we can make the world just a little better for everyone.

Thank you all for listening to me this evening; I am deeply humbled. Again, thank you to each member of Front Range for building a community where a high school dropout can walk down a path of academic success.

So many people need only a tiny push to discover their potential. Front Range has given each of us the tools to do just that.

Let’s continue to make the world a better place! Thank you!