August 27, 2014
Scott Schreiner

Student Success: Internship To Full-Time Job

Scott Schreiner started working as a landscaper after graduating from Brush High School in 1996. College wasn’t in his plans. In 1999, he moved into manufacturing, but then the tech sector took a dive. Scott moved from one manufacturing job to another, sometimes as a temporary contractor, and sometimes being included in company-wide layoffs.

College Education was Key

“I learned that education was a key to succeed in a career and that the people not being laid off had degrees,” he says

His last stop on this roller coaster was at Woodward, a worldwide leader in clean energy headquartered in Fort Collins. His temporary contract was about to end when he saw a posting at Woodward for an internship in clean energy. Facing a return to landscaping, he applied and was accepted.

“I was elated,” Scott says.

Paid Internship + Tuition

The internship with Woodward provided 20 hours of paid work and tuition assistance. In return, Scott needed to earn a 3.0 GPA in FRCC’s Clean Energy Technology Program, now called Electro-Mechanical and Energy Technology. Scott more than met the grade; he carried a 3.83 GPA. While an intern, Scott rotated between electrical and mechanical areas. He likes both areas.

“It gave me an idea of what Woodward does and what I wanted to do,” Scott says.

Today, Scott is a field service engineer in the industrial turbo-machinery division of Woodward.

Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering

“I’d like to pursue a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or process design,” he says. “My supervisors at Woodward are for it. I’m thinking ahead. How far can I take this? What Woodward has done in paying for my education at FRCC gives me goose bumps.”

Prepared for Real Work Force

Scott knows he’s in a good position for the future, with the emphasis placed on renewable technology and clean energy.

“The program put us at the top,” he says. “It was flexible and innovative. This program got me prepared for the real work force.”

Learn Hard and Soft Skills

“The Front Range program was real diverse,” Scott says. “It’s not just about the hard skills, but also about the soft skills employers look for – like ethics. It’s not just the ABCs of it. It was all very beneficial.”

About the author:

John Feeley is director of public relations at Front Range Community College. He’s a somewhat-frequent bicycle commuter, a certified soccer referee, and a newspaper editor whose subscription ran out.