January 27, 2014
Photo of a happy man with his thumb up carrying books

College Goal Sunday: What’s It All About?

Before I started college, I was terrified of the entire process. It felt overwhelming and, of course, I didn’t want to look stupid and ask questions. I was a first-generation college student without a clue, and I had no idea how to get started. I certainly didn’t know how to fill out an admissions application or the FAFSA. I remember thinking, What the heck is a FAFSA? Why do I need it?

College Goal Sunday is a FREE nationwide event.

It’s staffed by volunteers (including yours truly) who are there to help you with all of these questions, and we are even there to help you fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

In addition, we can help you with your scholarship search and admissions information to any college you want to attend. Yes, even Harvard. We are highly skilled and trained in higher education. We can help ease some of the anxiety you may be feeling about the whole college process, including helping you fill out that pesky FAFSA.

You want money? We have it!

There is a scholarship opportunity at College Goal Sunday. Many Colorado schools are participating in a scholarship drawing for College Goal Sunday. One lucky winner for each of those participating institutions will be announced after the event. The institution will notify the winner by mail. You can apply that $1,000 to the 2014-2015 school year.

College Goal Sunday at FRCC

On Sunday, February 9 the event will be going for two hours, from 2 to 4 p.m. at our three FRCC campuses:

Come when you want, ask your questions, get the information you need, have a snack, get your FAFSA done, and then go home and relax because you know that you got your FAFSA in by the priority deadline. That could mean you get an even better financial aid package. Students who get their FAFSAs in before the priority deadline get the best types of federal and state financial aid. And you may even win $1,000 scholarship just for showing up. What could be better?

I know what you’re thinking: Sunday is for football. Well, guess what? We have strategically scheduled the event for the Sunday after Super Bowl Sunday. So without Peyton Manning on the big screen, what else are you going to do? I hope to see you at College Goal Sunday.

About the author:

Jessie Savre is the Financial Aid Service Center Coordinator at the Boulder County Campus and the Work-Study Coordinator college-wide. She enjoys hanging out with her husband, two kids, dog, and chickens. She is an FRCC and CSU alumni and is currently working on her M.S. in Organization Leadership.