October 22, 2012
Halloween-carnivals

Kids Halloween Carnivals in Longmont, Ft. Collins, Westminster

Fall is clearly upon us now and with it, the anticipation of Halloween costumes, parties, and, of course, trick-or-treating. Starting in September my kids started talking about what they could be. My 10-year-old is set on being a mime. I’m thinking, cool, that’s easy enough. See, as my son exclaimed to his classmates, “We don’t buy our costumes; we make them!”

Making Halloween Costumes.

Even before I had kids, I’ve enjoyed putting together my own costumes as opposed to buying one. I enjoy the challenge and creativity of figuring out how to pull off a costume and the accessories that make it come to life. Don’t get me wrong; I’m not a crafty person, and I don’t own a sewing machine (a hot glue gun is my friend!). Instead, we scour our local thrift shops for the bits and pieces we need to complete an ensemble. Over the years, we’ve created costumes for a knight, Frankenstein, Charlie Brown ghost, cowboy, robot, astronaut, Albert Einstein, nerd, devil, hippie, even the infamous leg lamp from “A Christmas Story.”

Kids Halloween Carnival in Westminster: Friday, 10/26.

My kids have always enjoyed the Halloween Carnivals at Front Range Community College. They are free and indoors, a plus for little ones because you never know what weather we’ll have in late October. At the FRCC campus in Westminster, the students in Phi Theta Kappa, the international honor society for community colleges, organize fun carnival games for the kids. This year it will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 26  in the Rotunda/Cafeteria area for kids up to 13, though all ages are welcome. This year’s carnival will include: games, costume contest for children and adults, haunted house, pumpkin carving, crafts, bouncy castle, photos with the FRCC ‘Were’ Wolf, snacks and more! Prizes will given for funniest costume, scariest costume and best costume. See map.

Kids Halloween Carnival in Fort Collins: Friday, 10/26.

The FRCC campus in Fort Collins is also having a carnival from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 26 in the Longs Peak Student Center for kids up to 13, though all ages are welcome. The carnival’s theme this year is “Haunted Forest.” There will be a costume contest, haunted house, and other activities for the kids. See map.

Halloween Family Fun in Longmont: Wednesday, 10/31.

The Student Government Association at our Boulder County Campus in Longmont will be offering fun family activities from 5 to 7 p.m. Halloween night in the Community Room. Activities will include Halloween-themed crafts, games, prizes, sweets, and a kid-friendly Halloween movie. See map.

What was your best Halloween costume for your child or yourself? Please share below.

About the author:

Sandra Bergman is an overworked, underpaid mother of two rambunctious boys. In her free time she manages the web and social media presence for Front Range Community College.

Comments:

October 26, 2013 lance bare

Me and my daughter had fun at the Halloween carnival. Thank you volunteers for a fun time.
All of the volunteers were Great!!! Thank you for a great time!