July 9, 2012
Jon-Eggers

Local Artist Captures Classic Cars on Canvas

I’ve been obsessed with drawing and painting classic cars and motorcycles since I was a kid. I guess all those bright colors, shiny metal and chrome just grab my attention at a car show, whether it’s a fully restored 1932 Ford or if it’s an abandoned truck rusting away in the prairie. Most of my paintings are oil on canvas and I try to capture the character and attitude of these old classics with paint and varnishes.

Here are a few paintings I had fun working on over the last few years.

1952 Harley Panhead

I loved this Harley when I took a photo of it at a car show in Scottsdale, Arizona. After I started drawing it on the canvas, I realized it was actually a Colorado motorcycle. I wanted a street scene In the background, so I used a photo I took of a gas station in Longmont. It was also placed on the cover of Yellow Scene Magazine about a year later.

1946 Ford on Fire

Yep, nothing says Classic Hot Rod like flames. It’s always fun to see how close I can get to the original flame color and design.

1949 Mercury

I saw this car at a classic car show in Longmont. It’s one of my favorite car models of all time, and I wanted to zoom in and really focus on the front grill and bumper chrome detail, which is always a challenge.

The Great Pumpkin

This is a painting of a 1953 Chevy pickup that I owned with a few friends for a short time. To take this photo, I placed it in front of a beautiful old Victorian home near Thompson Park in Longmont.

1946 “H” Farmall

My dad taught me how to drive on his International Farmall “H” just like this when I was a kid. I’ve seen this tractor at the Boulder County Fair and classic farm shows a number of times, and finally had to paint it. I thought the flags were a nice touch, too.

1937 International Pickup

This pickup is part of the Hover Mansion in Longmont. One of their volunteers had a hard time starting the pickup in the dark Hover Farm garage, where I thought there was no way I was going to get a good photo. Eventually he got it running and drove it out into the sunlight where it could shine.

I also love painting machines other than cars and motorcycles. Anything from the 1930’s and 1940’s seem to have incredible design features to me such as vintage tractors and farm equipment. I recently painted my first train and am currently working on a medical rescue helicopter. That’s because the bright lime green paint grabs my attention and I see it everyday along I-25 on the way to work.

Finding Time to Paint

Being a parent of two young school kids, it can be difficult to focus and find time to paint. That time is usually for an hour or two, after the kids have gone to bed. After the drawing is complete, I refer to the early stages of a painting as the “tough” stage. It can be hard to stay motivated at this time, but as the elements start coming together, things begin to click and the fun begins.

Do you have a creative artistic skill you enjoy developing in your free time? How do you stay motivated to create?

About the author:

Jon Eggers works in the Registrar's Office at Front Range Community College. He received a bachelors degree in art from Nebraska Wesleyan University. He's served on the boards of the Longmont Artists’ Guild and the St. Vrain Contemporary Realists. His art is displayed at local art galleries and can be viewed at http://www.joneggers.com.

Comments:

July 11, 2012 Hannah

Wow, I had no idea you did this! So wonderful! THanks for sharing!

July 11, 2012 Jon Eggers

Thanks, Hannah. If you want to see more feel free to go to http://www.joneggers.com.

July 13, 2012 marian maharas

These are really beautiful, Jon. And, so very realistic – they could actually be photographs. How wonderful to have this kind of talent.

July 16, 2012 Jon Eggers

Thank you, Marian. It’s fun and challenging trying to reproduce the paint and reflections as close as possible. Did you mention you were going to start on an art project at some time in the near future?

September 21, 2012 Samochod Kredyt

Fantastic job, very realistic pictures I especially like the flames.

December 12, 2012 Northern Mechanic

My favourite is the Ford on Fire – I remember trying to recreate smooth shading for a similar flame effect by using an airbrush for the first time. It took me hours to get it right. These days I tend to handle cars using photoshop with layers to build up colour. It’s almost as satisfying although I miss the smell of fresh turpentine sometimes.
At first glance they look like photos – great trompe l’oeil