Our Favorite Holiday Foods

We’re in full holiday mode now! With the students and faculty done with finals, they are off enjoying their well-earned winter break. Before they left, we asked them to share with us some of their favorite holiday foods. I think you’ll really see the diversity of our Front Range family in their responses.

Dan Balski:

Anything my mom bakes around the holidays. She shows her love through her culinary creations!

Sandra Bergman:

Roast Beast! When it’s my turn to host Christmas, I opt for something other than turkey. And after all, we just had turkey at Thanksgiving! Cooking for my vegetarian husband, it’s not often that I get beef, and prime rib is my favorite.

Hannah Brown:

I’m especially partial to cookies, cakes and pies of any sort!

Danielle Carnes:

I love the appetizer part of the meal. I could dine on brie with honey & walnuts all afternoon. Forget the main dish! Spinach artichoke dip, stuffed mushrooms, and fresh sourdough bread—yum!

Michaele Charles:

Party potatoes. It’s like a cheesy potato casserole. YUM!

Rebecca Chavez:

Tamales with red chile that my grandma makes. Unfortunately, she doesn’t make them as much as she used to.  I may try making them—and not get mad when the masa (dough) doesn’t stick to the hojas (corn husks)—so the tradition continues.

John Feeley:

Coconut balls. My wife is famous for them. For starters, just ask this baker’s dozen: Dan, Patricia, Derrick, Susan, Larry, Mike, Jeanne, Doug, Rachel, Calvin, Nancy, Tac, Ann.

Chris Heuston: Champagne!

Jonathan Link:

The ham we have for Christmas dinner.

Kathy Mennen:

My husband’s family is Italian, and they make spaghetti—yes, spaghetti—for holiday meals.  It’s a recipe straight from the Old Country, and we enjoy making it as much as eating it.  From my side of the family, I make Nisuaa (pronounced NISS-ooh-ah), a Finnish sweet bread, using my Finnish great-grandmother’s recipe.  And of course none of this food has any calories whatsoever!

April Peterson:

English Trifle Pudding. There’s no good way to make this recipe low-fat or low sugar, but once a year it’s heavenly.

Eric Salahub: Pecan Tarts.

Reno Toffoli:

I’m a sucker for the classic turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, and stuffing…basically Thanksgiving dinner.

Colleen Toomey:

My grandpa’s stuffing. I made it for Thanksgiving this year, but couldn’t do it justice.

What are your favorite holiday foods? Got any good recipes you’re willing to share?

Sandra Bergman is an overworked, underpaid mother of two rambunctious boys. In her free time she manages the web and social media presence for Front Range Community College.

One Response to “Our Favorite Holiday Foods”

August 16, 2012 at 8:39 am, hot spot software said:

This design is spectacular! You obviously know how to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!)